Athens is most definitely on the map in terms of music, some of the names that have concerts lined up this month: Tiesto, The Killers, Placebo, Duffy, Joss Stone, Santana, Scorpions, Michael Bolton (hey, my mom and her friends think he’s a star)
Remixed 80’s music is big here, perfect for drinking and dancing *longs for the Tiger Tiger days, no wait, Night Fever!!!*
Athens is obsessed with Lady Gaga, even more than Johannesburg is! Oh and of course Michael Jackson’s death is still big news
Eurovision songs are also a big hit here
Glykeria and Choleva always have either Rythmos (http://www.e-radio.gr/player/player.asp?btID=1&sID=215&cID=undefined&rID=undefined&partnerID=undefined) or Sfera (http://www.e-radio.gr/player/player.asp?btID=1&sID=143&cID=undefined&rID=undefined&partnerID=undefined) playing in their cars
Songs that are ranked high on the playlists here and that will always remind me of Summer in Greece 2009:
- I know you want me (Pitbull), practically the national anthem of this summer
- Change (Daniel Merriweather), cant find the original video so here’s the lyrics version
- Tha 'Mai Allios (Elena Paparizou), also a juice ad
- Fonazo (Giannis Ploutarxos)
- Pano ap’ola (Miron Stratis)
- Varethika (Nikos Vertis), heart wrenching sad break up song, reminds me of Glykeria and Katerina’s messed up relationships!
- Ti Na Mas Kanei i Nixta (G. Sampanis & Stereo Mike)
Okay yes their music videos do need some work!